9/13/11

7 Layer Greek Dip

Last weekend Brendan and I were invited to a couple of different parties that we needed to bring a dish with us. I was stewing around Friday night looking at my favorite cookbooks and kept saying, "I always bring the same things". Then Brendan being the awesome hubby that he is, had a great idea to make a 7 layer Greek dip that we had had previously at another gathering.

We googled the dish, literally "7 layer Greek Dip" and we found the recipe we were both thinking of. We were able to make one dish for each party and it went over famously! I didn't take pictures of our creations but they pretty much looked like what was on Our Best Bites website.

Here's what you will need:

1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)

1 tsp. dill weed or Greek seasoning (salt free–go for a mix that just has herbs)

3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

2 tsp. lemon juice

1 1/2 c. hummus

1 c. seeded, diced cucumbers

1 c. seeded, diced tomatoes

1/2 c. chopped Kalamata olives

1/3 c. chopped green onions (about 3 green onions completely chopped)

1/2 c. crumbled Feta cheese

Their recipe called for parsley, I did not add parsley.  I also used a pie tin instead of a 9x13, but I'm sure either would work.

First start with a layer of cream cheese (light cream cheese works great!) whipped together with lemon juice, garlic, and Italian (or Greek) seasonings.  We used basic Greek seasoning we purchased at our local farmers market.

Then add a layer of hummus, any hummus will do, I used plain.

Then add consecutive layers of cucumbers, tomato's and kalmata olives.  I diced each pretty small, easier for scooping.

After the olives are in place, add a layer of green onion and finish off with feta cheese.  For feta, any will do, I use the Athenos brand. Then let the dish chill for about 2 hours in the fridge.  Serve with your favorite pita chips. 



It is by far one of the best recipes I've ever come across!  My Greek hubby gave his Opa of approval for it as well.  Enjoy!







1 comment:

@JessEsco said...

This sounds amazing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin