10/18/12

The internet has to be good for something, right?

   I have been a migraine sufferer since about the age of two. When I was a year and half old I fell down two cement stairs and had a skull fracture, about 6 months later my parents started to notice differences in my behavior, I would bang my head on my crib and scream, they would try to comfort me, I would throw up and then seem fine. After many, many doctor visits I was diagnosed with migraine headaches. So that's the short version of how I got here. Throughout my whole life I've struggle to manage these pesky headaches, I've been to every speciality clinic, done every diet, magic cure, homeopathic route. You name it, I've tried it, thankfully as an adult they are more manageable and there are more options for medications out there.

     Currently, I take a daily medication, and then two medications at the onset of the headache. What my problem is right now is that when I'm getting these migraines they are lasting four and five days. By the time I get to day three I am exhausted, irritable is an understatement and at my wits end. The other problem is that when I keep repeatedly taking my medication for the onset of the migraine it then gives me what are called rebound headaches. It seems to be this never ending cycle that I can't kick. I know not sleeping through the night isn't helping and even when with Brendan taking Kate through the night I still wake up because I hear her. This last time I finally took my medication that knocks me out completely after four days of having a migraine. I was a blubbering idiot, and felt drunk when I woke up the next morning, but it did the trick. This however is not an option when Brendan isn't around or has to be at work. I'm so over these darn things, after 28 years I'm OVER IT! I know there are so many worse things, but honestly I wake up almost every day with some sort of headache, I can not remember the last morning that my head didn't hurt. I'm very blessed that they aren't worse and I can function but they are wearing on me and my body. So I am reaching out to my readers, what do you take for your migraines? Any dietary restrictions that helped you? What has helped you fend your migraines off?  I am all ears, at this point if you told me to stand on my head and try doing the polka I would.

If you have questions about my specific medications I take I am happy to share, I just didn't want to recommend any meds on my blog.  Please feel free to email me at abbyitheewed@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hi Abby! Of course I remember you from our D&R days :) And I do remember our migraine chats too! I have one today so I completely understand...

I tracked mine for about 2 years and they were definitely hormonal, but then everything got messed up once I got pregnant and had the baby. Now they're just all over the place. I've heard of some people finding something in their diet that triggers them, but it never worked for me. I'm still also breastfeeding so I can't take my super awesome meds and I have to take the ones that don't work as well. I do take a daily preventative and I also take vitamin B2 and magnesium which is supposed to help with prevention.

I wish you luck that you find something that works!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin