We went to Boston

And we survived!  The plane rides were smooth, my sister successfully walked down the aisle and we all lived to see another day.  

I'll cover the most beautiful wedding in another post.  Right now I'll tell ya a little bit about our travels as a family and the awesome time we had.  

We left early Wednesday morning before anyone in the entire world was awake.  I had to wake my poor children. Up at 3:15AM to make our 6AM flight.  We also took a college family friend alone with us to babysit while we were all in the wedding.  Let me tell you, this young lady was a LIFESAVER!  We know no one other then my sister and her finance out in Boston.  Having an extra pair of hands for all the festivities was so helpful!  We couldn't have done it without her, she was awesome and the kids loved her!  

We got to the airport around 4:30AM and Kate of course was happy as a clam.  She was ready to go and so was Drew.
Our first flight was just an hour long and the kids did great.  One thing I learned, If you fly with an infant you most likely will sit in the back row of the plane.  This is because the extra oxygen mask in the back row and they probably want to contain the circus to the back of the aircraft.  We had about an hour in Chicago so we got some breakfast and took a potty break and boarded our next flight to Boston. 

On the next flight Kate was getting a little fussy so I tried to get her to sleep and she was NOT happy.  Thankfully after just a few minutes of crying she took about a 45 min nap.  Drew on the other hand was occupied with the iPad the whole time.  I brought along all these toys and games for him, he couldn't have cared less.  I shouldn't have wasted my time.  When we were taking off and landing he just looked out the window and the rest iof the time he played his games one the iPad or watched Rio.  
There was one time he did play a little pin ball game for about 3 minutes, hey, whatever works.  He was perfect on the plane rides.  I think it helps that he loves planes and airports.  
We arrived in Boston around noon on Wednesday and it was about a 45 minute drive to our house we had rented with my older sister's family.  We stayed in Scituate, MA right on the ocean.  It ended up being a perfect situation.  We had a kitchen, enough bathrooms and bedrooms and area for the kids to play.  They could go outside and we could take them down to the beach.  My parents, brother and sister in law and grandfather then stayed about 4 blocks away in another rental home.  

After we arrived the kiddos played outside with their cousins and burnt off some energy.

Thursday morning we woke up and went apple picking.  We went to C.N Smith farms.  It was about a 50 minute drive but well worth it.  The kids loved it and ate apples right off the trees and had a blast picking.

Our sitter and Kate.  Our kids absolutely loved Brit!!

The trees at the apple orchard were amazing!  The leaves out on the east coast were already turning and were beautiful!!

Thursday evening we went out to dinner with my sister and brother in law, my mom and step dad and my grandpa and his girlfriend.  We went to Barker Tavern in Scituate and it was delicious!  

Friday morning was the start of all the wedding festivities.  

Sunday afternoon after all the wedding festivities were done we headed down to Scituate harbor to see all the boats.  Once again Drew is obsessed with boats so what better place to take our three year then a busy harbor.

I threw in this next one because it's just so cute.
Monday morning we once again woke up in the middle of the night and flew home back to Iowa.  We had an absolutely wonderful time in Boston.  The kids loved the wedding and staying by the ocean.  

I'll talk about travel with two toddlers in a later post.  A few things I found helpful and a few things I packed that just weighed down my bag.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin